Thursday, October 9, 2008

Winter Banana

I just had my first 'Winter Banana' apple (and am about halfway through my second), from a local ranch just up the road from where I work. It's really good! I worried a little bit about an apple with "winter" in the name--I thought maybe it suggested an apple selected for its storage potential, not flavor. But the concern was unwarranted. The flesh was fine-grained and crisp but gave easily. The flavor was sweet and mild, and the mild aroma, while not to me particularly reminiscent of banana, was unusual and distinct, though not intrusive.

Plus, it's a beautiful apple. Medium-size, glossy, green with a striking red blush covering maybe a third of the surface. Apparently it was once a fruit-basket favorite because of its good looks. I bought three of them, so I've saved one and maybe I'll take a picture of it for you.