Saturday, August 22, 2009

Mysticism and miniature fruit

I visited the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum the other day (which, although I had originally worried it would be a weird cultish experience, was a really cool, professional museum, easily worth visiting for those with an interest in ancient Egypt) and came across this row of dwarf pomegranates along one wall. I didn't even recognize them until I saw the fruit, which was pretty obviously pomegranate-like. It gave the cultivar name as 'Nana', but I'm now thinking that's actually a botanical variety, and so there's got to be a cultivar name that goes with it (assuming they weren't just seedlings).

Anyway, I was delighted to find an unusual fruit growing there, and snapped a few pictures:
Dwarf pomegranates at the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum


'Nana' Dwarf Pomegranate